Wednesday, October 17, 2012

How I Met Your Mother: “Who Wants to Be a Godparent?”

Hey I didn't think that was half bad. In fact I enjoyed a large amount of the episode, which is an immense improvement over the previous three installments we've gotten to start the season off. I had a few genuine laughs, two big laughs, and I appreciated a pretty darn decent story that everyone in the group got to partake in.

I always think HIMYM is at its best when all five of the characters are all together throughout an episode, having the same experience and playing off of each other’s quirks. In “Godparent” we got exactly that and I think it was clear that this episode was better because of that. I’m not saying that we can’t have any story-lines involving who the single members of the group are dating, or what goofy couple problem Lily and Marshall are having, but at this point in the shows run those story-lines have gotten so played out that they need to find a way to make them original again and at the very least develop the supporting characters better for them. It’s tough as a viewer to care about the money that Victoria’s Dad thinks Ted owes him, or the motorcycle scooter Nick rides (*), when the show has essentially ignored Veronica all season with the exception of a few scenes and has barely even given us Nick’s first name let alone shown us any reason as to why Robin should like him.

*Cobie Smulders seemed more than ready to reprise her role as Maria Hill from The Avengers with the motorcycle get-up. Not complaining.

It was also really nice to see a story that was not only new to HIMYM but one I don’t think I've really seen before on television. Most shows, including what I assume HIMYM will do in the near future, kind of ignore the fact that new parents don’t have time to hang out with the main group anymore and kind of just go on with business as usual with the occasional baby/child story thrown in. But the reality is that it becomes a real problem for people and it shouldn't be ignored so nonchalantly. Glad HIMYM tackled the issue and was able to make a funny, touching story around it.

Some other thoughts and great moments:
  • “Barney Stinson. How may I direct my penis?” – Barney answering his Booty Call phone.
  • Robin would listen to a police scanner during lunch.
  • One of the spaces on the Godparent wheel was: Tooth Fairy, Santa, Bigfoot. I’m guessing the Bigfoot issue would be of the utmost importance to Marshall.
  • “He’s no Vinnie Pestano. Am I right?” I have a feeling that I’m one of 12 How I Met Your Mother viewers that got the reference but it was so fantastic.

Comments are certainly welcome, whether they are for agreement, disagreement, or indifference.

No comments:

Post a Comment