Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Reviews: How I Met Your Mother and Partners


The Emmys are over and even though there are so many fantastic shows that now exist outside of the four major networks, and some shows have already started their yearly runs, the 2012 television officially starts tonight and this guy is certainly excited.

How I Met Your Mother

Leading off my viewing season is the eight year veteran How I Met Your Mother. For a show that was a perennial all star for its first 5 seasons(*) it has really been a shell of its former self during the last two years. From what Jason Segel and Neil Patrick Harris are saying, it sure sounds like this is indeed going to be the final season of HIMYM so hopefully the writers have one more great run in them to get us to a satisfying conclusion.

(*)Including HIMYM’s second season which is one of the all-time greats. In that season we got introduced to the Robin Sparkles single: “Let’s Go to the Mall,” a certain slap bet, Swarly, and Barney meeting his “father” Bob Barker on The Price is Right.

With that being said, tonight was far from being one of HIMYM’s finer outings. For a show that’s supposed to be a comedy, there were close to zero comedic moments in tonight’s episode. I’m not saying I have to be rolling on the floor laughing for 21 straight minutes, but there just wasn’t anything to even chuckle at; unless of course you find Barney and the current future but not really future Mrs. Stinson kinda sorta cheating on each other fresh off their engagement as comedic gold. Also, Marshall and Lily in their haze wasn’t especially funny the first time they used a Windows 97’ screensaver to represent their sleep deprivation, so I didn’t think it was necessary to try that flop over and over again. I did, however, enjoy Thomas Lennon as Victoria's fiance Klaus as well as the episodes' ending being scored with the fantastic Band of Horses song "The Funeral."

When I look back on this episode at the end of the season, hopefully it will fit better into the season as a whole. It’s entirely possible that the writers were less worried about comedy and much more concerned on setting up exactly how Barney and Robin will end up back together and how Ted will come to the realization (like we haven’t had this bulky idea shoved in our faces 50 times during the run of the series) that he just needs to wait for Mrs. Perfect.

I’ve seen every episode of HIMYM, most more than once, so I’m definitely not going to give up on it now and I’ll have a review of each episode throughout the season. Mrs. Mosby better be worth the wait!

Partners

Oh man. This new CBS show centers around two best friends, one who’s straight and who’s gay. So in typical CBS fashion for comedy they were able to make all of their characters ridiculously unfunny stereotypes and if you were to remove the laugh track it would be a show that’s borderline offensive to everyone. Humanity, as a whole, should be offended that this show makes it onto television. I just don’t understand why these CBS sitcoms get so many viewers while shows like Parks and Recreation and Community are lucky to scrape together enough viewers to field 5 on 5 basketball game.

The pilot for Partners wasn’t just bad because of its attempt to exploit stereotypes, but everything about it was totally unimaginative. The show is a blatant Will and Grace rip-off, with the exception of Grace being replaced by a straight guy and the extraction of anything humor related. The storylines of proposing and getting closer in their romantic relationships may have been okay 12 or 13 episodes into the series, but they expected us to automatically care about these characters and their love lives before we even really knew their names.

No second chance for Partners next week and unless I’m hearing a ton of internet buzz about the show in the future, I hope to never have to view this crap again.

Two Broke Girls & Mike and Molly

Didn't watch these shows considering I knew I'd get more laughs from listening to the ineptitude of John Gruden during Monday Night Football then I would from them.


Well I was kind of harsh tonight, usually I’m much more of a fanboy for television and I’m sure that will show in the future. Monday is kind of down night for television so HIMYM might be the only episode I blog about going forward for this day of the week. I still have to give Revolution a chance though as well as Mob Doctor(**). Tomorrow I’ll be reviewing the new Fox comedy block which includes two new episodes of New Girl (Yes!), and the two new shows Ben & Kate and The Mindy Project.

(**) Although, I do not like Mob’s prospects of me liking it considering: a) The name of show, come on FOX. And b) It stars Michael Rappaport. I’m not sure if that’s the correct spelling of his name, but considering he’s the worst actor person in the world, it’s not worth my time to look it up.

Comments are certainly welcome, whether they are for agreement, disagreement, or indifference.

No comments:

Post a Comment