Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Big Bang Theory: The Date Night Variable


So normally on Thursdays I want to just focus on the NBC shows and the FX shows. However, because I’ve had the misfortune of being a Dish owner, I do not get to watch NBC. That’s not a typo. Dish has blocked out NBC for over a month now because they can’t reach an agreement for a new contract with my local affiliate. So that, on top being without AMC for the same reasons, is why as soon my contract is up I will never be a Dish customer again. So the current fill-in for tonight will be Big Bang Theory.

Big Bang Theory: The Date Night Variable

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Big Bang Theory. I watched the entirety of the first two seasons a few years ago and any episode I’ve seen after that has just been a random one and I couldn’t tell you where it was in the story or what season it belonged to.

That’s why I’m going to sound a bit ignorant here because I’m a little confused about what’s transpired lately. The two biggest revelations for me are that Howard’s in space and married to Bernadette and Leonard proposed to Penny and was rejected. I think BBT would do themselves a favor by just putting Sheldon and Penny together at this point and let watch how their relationship moves forward. This episode was a pretty decent premiere and I always enjoy Sheldon trying to grasp the concept of how to act towards people, especially his girlfriend.

I do think that Big Bang Theory is very good at being what it is: lots of obvious jokes and using their well-established characters to set them up. That’s why I think it’s one of the truest pure sitcoms on television, but there’s never anything super exciting that’s going to happen. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s pretty much the same formula that Friends used to use and that’s one of my favorite shows of all time. But because there isn’t much in-depth story or character work, it makes reviews of the show hard because there isn’t much to talk about.


I really need a catch-up NBC day which I might take this weekend. If I do I’ll cover Parks and Recreation and The Office for sure. If I have time I’ll try and hit some of the following: Revolution, Go On, The New Normal, Animal Practice, Guys with Kids, and SNL.

Comments are certainly welcome, whether they are for agreement, disagreement, or indifference

No comments:

Post a Comment